Essentials – irreplaceable shortcuts pad
Essentials app can easily become your favorite and irreplaceable shortcuts pad. Just press hotkey (default is Ctrl+Space, but you can customize it in preferences) and Essentials will appear where ever your mouse cursor is (or not, if you choose so in preferences).
YOU CAN USE IT TO:
- quickly launch applications – like in Dock
- access assorted folders, documents and files of any kind as an shortcuts that can be customized
- act as clipboard or “dropbox” for your e-mail messages, text clippings (snippets), colors (even mix colors by drag/droping color item one onto another) from OS X standard palette, PDF and image clippings, URLs, graphic paths (vectors)
- make YOUR OWN simple Terminal commands/scripts (that can act as droplets too! …now which app can do that! )
- resize groups or items and its titles in preferences or using shortcut keys + scroll
- resize groups by holding Command key (⌘) and scroll up or down (or pinch it on trackpad)
- resize items icons (⌘+scroll) and their titles (⌘+⌥+scroll) – hope this feature makes you say “sweet!”
- use item spacing preference for even longer titles plus two line rendering of item titles for longer titles
- reorder groups and items by holding Command key and dragging groups/items to desired position
- switch between groups by keyboard: Command key (⌘) + 1 or 2 or 3 etc or Command key (⌘) + up/down arrows or Option key (⌥) + scroll
- mark items AND groups with colors from pop-up menu
- use preference to enable/disable Dock and menubar icons
- use preference to state how to open items: by single click or double click
- you can finally make your dock look fancy by not overloading it with so many icons
ESSENTIALS IS SIMPLY ESSENTIAL BECAUSE:
- you can keep your favorite/frequently used items really accessible and nearby
- enables fast viewing of important items and/or groups – you can color it differently (dots for groups and color scheme for items like in Finder)
- saves your time and improves your productivity in many ways; e.g. displays right beneath your cursor when you hit the hot key, supports QuickLook, ads text clipping/snippet to the existing one - simple drag&drop snippet on that item will append it neatly below already saved text clipping – without even opening the document
- no need to bother opening and saving different types of documents – one for text clipping, one for image clipping, one for URL bookmark…; just simple drag&drop snippets into Essentials and later drag/drop them where needed
- need color in RGB or CMYK? UIColor or NSColor mode? if you can drag/drop it from OS X standard palette to Essentials, you have it!
- it has smooth and intuitive UI
- it is responsive and fast
- it can easily blend like it is part of the OS X
Essentials is a really handy app that could conceivably change the way you use OS X and speed up your workflow in a number of ways….If you’re looking for an affordable way to dramatically increase the speed at which you can access files, folders, text snippets, URLs or even colors, Essentials is definitely a great place to start.
Apple App Store Link
Have an app you’d love to see featured? Tell us about it, include an iTunes link, and we’ll take a look.